You may have heard of the numerous hacks that have infiltrated some of the big names, or you might have a friend who had their site compromised. Google has taken notice and has released a “help for hacked sites” instructional series to guide users through recovering and repairing their sites, or for those with less technical know-how it explains what hacking is and how they can get someone to fix it.
Google has also listed a few tips to help keep yourself and your sites safe:
- Be vigilant about keeping software updated.
- Understand the security practices of all applications, plug-ins, third-party software, and so on, before you install them on your server. A security vulnerability in one software application can affect the safety of your entire site.
- Remove unnecessary or unused software.
- Enforce creation of strong passwords.
- Keep all devices used to log in to your servers secure (updated operating system and browser).
- Make regular, automated site backups.